Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Rainy Days

I will never get used to the rain here. Today was "rainy" which meant I needed my wipers on... that is - on intermittent, level 1. OOOooooooooOOOoooo. Look out. Several drops of water ahead. Please consider using your wipers.

I miss "real" rain. Thunderstorms. Humidity. Power outages.

Nobody really wants to scavenge for a candle and match out of necessity. And yet, I'm wistful. I miss using a rainy, powerless day as a good excuse to curl up with a good book on the porch swing at Mom's. I miss the excuse to swing with my eyes closed and just listen to the low rumble of thunder and the pop-crack of lightening. I miss the heavy smell of the storm. The warm-cool breeze.

I miss home, I think. I wish I had appreciated it sooner.

1 comment:

Qcumber98 said...

When I was young, I use to live in Missouri and I don't miss taking showers in the dark. My brother and I used to hide in the dark to try to scare the crap out of each other too. I don't miss any of that.